Nigerian army rescues 84, captures Boko Haram’s weaponsTony wyaad December 24, 2019 0 COMMENTS
The Nigerian army said about 84 persons held hostage by the insurgents at Camp Zairo were rescued by the anti-terrorist troops and have been handed over to the Borno State Emergency Management Agency (SEMA). The theatre commander, Operation Lafiya Dole, Rogers Nicholas, disclosed this on Saturday, February 3, during the inauguration of the Nigeria-Cameroun Military Joint Mission in Maiduguri, the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports. He said that his troops under the operation DEEP PUNCH II, on Friday, February 2, dislodged and occupied the insurgents’ tactical ground “Camp Zairo”. Nicholas stated that hundreds of insurgents surrendered and several others fled their enclave while at least 84 civilians were rescued and have been handed over to the SEMA. we gathered that Rabi Abu-Yasir, wife of Boko Haram’s chief physician was among the 84 civilians rescued by the troops. Rabi reportedly said that her husband was the medical doctor to the insurgents’ leader, Abubakar Shekau. The theater commander said: “My soldiers are in the heart of Boko Haram enclave that is ‘Camp Zairo”, the gallant troops have taken total control of Sambisa Forest. “We have broken the heart and soul of Shekau’s group, taking over the camp and its environs. “They are on the run and we are pursuing them to wherever they go. This time around there is no place for escape anywhere. “We had earlier asked those of them that want to surrender to do so and we are still asking them to come out and surrender otherwise they are going to meet it the hard way”. Nicholas called on other insurgents and abducted persons in the bush to come out and surrender to the troops, stressing that they would not be harmed or killed. Commenting on the meeting, Nicholas said the collaboration between the two militaries was critical to the successful completion of the counter-insurgency campaign. “We share information and intelligence to enable us map out strategies to fight Boko Haram insurgents in our common borders,” he said. Also, the Head of Camerounian military delegation, Djonkep Fredrick, said the collaboration would strengthen military ties to enable them win the war against insurgency. we previously reported that no fewer than 27 Boko Haram insurgents voluntarily surrendered to the troops of Operation Lafiya Dole, in Maiduguri. Nicholas made the disclosure while briefing newsmen at the Military Command and Control Centre, Maimalari Cantonment, Maiduguri. He said: “What we are trying to do is to encourage others who are in the bush to also come out and surrender. “The intention of the military is not to kill anybody because these are Nigerians. “We want to see how we can get them, de-radicalise them and take them back to their families that is the mission we are doing now.